“Instead of sending mixed signals, the Governor needs to provide clear leadership to bring Iowa out of this pandemic safely. The Governor didn’t provide the information necessary today to demonstrate to Iowans that it is safe to loosen restrictions that prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
If the Governor announces additional steps to relax restrictions on Monday, she owes it to Iowans to be transparent by releasing the data and model she is using that proves to Iowans it is safe to do so.
We all want to re-open our economy and get life back to normal as quickly as possible. However, there is significant risk of more deaths, infections, and a prolonged economic downturn if restrictions are lifted too soon.”
Background & Facts on Coronavirus in Iowa
- A record number of new positive cases (521) and deaths (11) were reported today
- Peak is still expected to be 2-3 weeks away
- Front line workers still struggle with a shortage of PPE and Iowa is still under the PPE Shortage Order declared by the Governor
- Outbreaks at long-term care facilities, manufacturing facilities, and meat processing facilities are still increasing
- Not a single test from the new testiowa.com initiative has been administered
- Iowa does not meet the gating criteria outlined by the CDC to begin phased re-opening