To register to vote, you must be…
- An U.S. citizen
- An Iowa resident
- At least 17 1/2 years old (must be 18 years old by election day to vote)
You can register to vote for federal, state and local elections by mail (by filling out this form and mailing to county auditor), at your county courthouse, or at your drivers license renewal office.
Iowa has same day election voter registration, which enables you to register to vote any time before an election. However, if registering by mail you must submit 10 days prior to the election date.
If you choose register on election day, you first must go to the correct polling place for your current address on election day. If you are unsure of your polling place, Find Your Precinct/Polling Place.
At the polling place, you must show proof of identity and and proof of residency. This can be shown by valid a Iowa driver’s license with your current address printed on it.
Other proofs of ID are valid including:
- Iowa non-driver ID card
- Out-of-state driver’s license or non-driver ID card
- U.S. passport
- U.S. military ID
- ID card issued by employer
- Student ID issued by Iowa high school or college
Other proofs of residency are valid including:
- Residential lease
- Utility bill (including a cell phone bill)
- Bank statement
- Government check or other government document