Iowa’s Insurance Consumer Advocate has scheduled public hearings concerning Coventry’s and CoOportunity’s rate increase requests for individual health insurance plans. The hearings are scheduled for the morning of Saturday, July 26 and persons can leave written testimony if they are unable to attend the hearings.
Under Iowa law, a public hearing must be held if the health insurer asks for a rate increase that exceeds the average annual health spending growth projection published by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Coventry is asking for an average increase of 8.7% for individual plans, but some consumers could see a lower or higher increase depending upon their individual rating factors such as age, tobacco use, and geographic region.
CoOportunity is asking a 14.3% increase for their individual plans, and as with Coventry, some consumers could see a different increase depending upon their individual rating factors.
Coventry’s public hearing is scheduled for July 26 at 11:30am at the locations listed below. CoOportunity’s public hearing is scheduled for July 26 at 10:30am at the locations listed below.
– Mercy College of Health Sciences, Sullivan Center, Rm SC-210, 928 6th Ave, Des Moines (main location)
– Burlington Public Library, 210 Court Street, Burlington
– Iowa Central Community College, Liberal Arts Bldg, Rm 204, One Triton Circle, Ft. Dodge
– Iowa Western Community College, Looft Hall, Rm 24, 2700 College Rd, Council Bluffs
– Kirkwood Community College, Lin Hall, Rm 2184, 6301 Kirkwood Blvd SW, Cedar Rapids
– North Iowa Area Community College, Business Incubator Bldg, Rm 128, 500 College Dr, Mason City
– Spencer Public Library, 21 East 3rd St, Spencer
Customers do not have to wait until the public hearing to submit comments, they can leave a comment with the Insurance Division by phone at 877-955-1212, by mail at 601 Locust St. – 4th Floor, Des Moines, IA 50309-3738, or by going to www.iid.state.ia.us/ratereviewcomment.