While Election Day is still a few weeks away, thousands of Iowans have already started casting ballots by mail or at early voting locations across the state.
Currently, local county auditor offices are open every week day for eligible voters to vote for the upcoming election on November 6. Voters can also cast an early vote at designated satellite voting locations. Eligible voters will need to check with their county auditor to see if there is a satellite voting location in their community.
A person voting early in person at the auditor’s office or a satellite location will be asked to show identification requirements, however identification is not required to vote. Instead, voters without proper ID will sign an oath and then cast their ballot.
Voters can show the following types of ID:
1. Valid Driver’s License
2. Non-operator ID
3. U.S. passport
4. Veterans or Military ID
5. Tribal ID
6. State issued voter identification card
Voters can also request to have an absentee ballot mailed to their house and they can vote from the comfort of their kitchen table. The deadline to request a vote by mail ballot is October 27th at 5 pm. A voter can print off an absentee ballot request and fill it out and mail to their local county auditor (SEE BELOW for a link to this application).
Once the absentee ballot is requested, Iowans can track their ballots online. Ballots need to be post marked by Monday, November 5 to be counted, but county auditors recommend returning the ballot as soon as possible in the postage paid envelope provided.
Iowa has a voter registration deadline up until 10 days before the Election but can still register to vote on Election Day, either online or at their county auditor’s office or print off a form and send into to county auditor, or simply visit their county auditor.
Important Links for Voters:
• Print off an absentee ballot request: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/pdf/absenteeballotapp.pdf
• Track an absentee ballot: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/absenteeballotstatus/search.aspx
• Register to vote online: https://mymvd.iowadot.gov/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2fVoterRegistration
• Print off a voter registration form: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/pdf/voteapp.pdf
• Find your county auditor: https://sos.iowa.gov/elections/auditors/auditorslist.html