- There were 118 new positive cases of COVID-19 on Friday, bringing the total up to 1,388. There were two additional deaths, bringing the total to 31, and 119 Iowans are currently hospitalized due to COVID-19. Cases have been reported in 81 Iowa counties.
- Due to an anticipated shortage of personal protective equipment (PPE), the Governor has ordered health providers to do the following:
- Immediately decrease the demand for PPE including using telemedicine and minimizing patient contacts.
- If there is still a supply shortage, providers must extend the use and reuse PPE when necessary.
- If a facility completes steps one and two and there is still a shortage, they must use PPE beyond the manufactured shelf life. Handmade masks may also need to be used.
- For the full order, please visit: https://idph.iowa.gov/Portals/1/userfiles/7/Signed%20PPE%20Shortage%20Order%20Final.pdf
- The federal government has finalized stabilization payments to Iowa’s public universities and community colleges to deal with coronavirus. At least 50% of the payments are for emergency grants to students. Here are the highlights:
- Community Colleges: $36.2 million
- University of Iowa: $16.1 million
- Iowa State University: $21.7 million
- University of Northern Iowa: $7.6 million
Helpful Links With More Information
A summary of federal COVID-19 legislation and its impact on Iowans is available here: https://tinyurl.com/sg2hluc
For the latest updates on coronavirus and to learn more about prevention efforts, go to the Iowa Dept. of Public Health at https://idph.iowa.gov/Emerging-Health-Issues/Novel-Coronavirus
For Iowans with questions about COVID-19, a public hotline is open 24/7 by calling 2-1-1 or 1-800-244-7431
Click below for continuous updates on Coronavirus Frequently Asked Questions created by the Iowa House Democratic Research Staff: https://bit.ly/2UjkO80
Criteria for getting tested for COVID-19 from the Centers for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/hcp/clinical-criteria.html
Iowans who are healthy and want to volunteer in their community can find opportunities here: http://volunteeriowa.galaxydigital.com/
For the latest updates from the State of Iowa on COVID-19: https://coronavirus.iowa.gov
For updates related to child care, child welfare, Medicaid, and social workers, go to the Dept. of Human Services page at https://dhs.iowa.gov/COVID19
For businesses, the Iowa Economic Development Authority (IEDA) is compiling resources available (including grants) at www.iowabusinessrecovery.com
For workers displaced due to coronavirus, unemployment benefits may be available in 7-10 days from filing. Click here to apply: https://www.iowaworkforcedevelopment.gov/file-claim-unemployment-insurance-benefits