After the 2012 session ended in May, State Representative Mary Gaskill of Ottumwa said a host of resources are available to help businesses expand to create jobs as well as help more entrepreneurs and start-up businesses be successful.
Some highlights of the financial and technical support available to businesses and entrepreneurs is below. For more information, log on to www.iowaeconomicdevelopment.com.
- High Quality Jobs Program: With a $15 million expansion approved this session, the program provides direct financial assistance and various tax incentives to help Iowa businesses expand, prevent current businesses from leaving Iowa, and encourage new businesses to locate in Iowa.
- Iowa’s Small Business Development Centers (SBDC’s): With 15 regional offices in every corner of Iowa, providing technical support to small businesses and entrepreneurs including training in management, financing, and operating a small business. (www.iowasbdc.org)
- Demonstration Fund: Provides technical and financial assistance to high technology prototype and concept businesses with strong growth potential.
- Business License Information Center: Helps small businesses and entrepreneurs find and compile all necessary licenses in one place as they prepare to launch a venture.
- MyEntre.net: Based at the University of Northern Iowa, provides technical support and on-line resources to small businesses (www.myentre.net)
- Research Parks at Iowa, Iowa State: Provides support and space for entrepreneurs and start-ups to work in close proximity to world class research and technology
- Targeted Small Business Program: Iowa small businesses owned by a minority or female are eligible for up to $50,000 in loans to launch or expand a business