Iowa House District 62
Ras Smith represents Iowa House District 62, which includes Waterloo, Elk Run Heights, Evansdale, and Raymond. He serves on Education, Judiciary, State Government, Transportation, and the Transportation, Infrastructure & Capitals Appropriations Subcommittee.
Smith, a Waterloo native, is the son of L.C. and the Rev. Belinda Creighton-Smith. Out of session, Smith is the site coordinator for the nonprofit organization Communities in Schools. In his role, Smith works to provide additional services for at-risk youth at George Washington Carver Academy.
Smith is active in his local community, volunteering his talents to better the area. He has been a youth mentor, participated in faith-based outreach, and served as a volunteer football coach for East High School.
A graduate of the Malcolm Price Lab School and the University of Northern Iowa, Smith lives in Waterloo with his wife Amelia and their two daughters, Maria and Samara. They attend Faith Temple Baptist Church.
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead
- Statehouse News, New Audit Reveals Privatized Medicaid Mismanagement
- Statehouse News, Are You Ready to Vote?
- Statehouse News, Early Voting Starts in Iowa
- Statehouse News, Closing Iowa's Skilled Worker Shortage Gap
- Statehouse News, Growing Corporate Tax Credits Need Review
- Statehouse News, Failing Privatized Medicaid Program Gets Worse
- Statehouse News, Thank Iowa Workers this Labor Day
- Statehouse News, Iowa Students Head Back to School