Iowa House District 93
Phyllis Thede was honored to begin her first term in the General Assembly on January 12, 2009. She is now serving her 5th term in the Iowa House of Representatives. She represents the families of Bettendorf/Davenport.
Phyllis currently serves on the following House committees:
• Ethics (Ranking Member),
• Government Oversight
• Local Government
• Natural Resources.
Phyllis and her husband Dave make their home in Bettendorf, Iowa. Phyllis and Dave resided in Davenport from 1980 to 2004, and then they moved to Bettendorf.
Phyllis and Dave are proud parents of three successful daughters and a son in-law, who is ex-military. They are doting grandparents to grandson Jonathan, grand-daughters Stella and Catherine, and step-grandson Jake.
Phyllis was born in Chicago, Illinois. Later, the family would move to Creston, Iowa, which is located in the southern part of Iowa, and is the home of Southwestern Community College. Phyllis and Dave were both attending Southwestern, when they met and fell in love. They were married in 1974. The couple moved to LeMars, Iowa where they both attended Westmar College. In 1976 Dave graduated and Phyllis’ career in education began.
Phyllis began her work in 1980 as a para-educator with Davenport Community Schools. In the early years, she worked in the library, until 2001 when she moved to the position of secretary in the Media Center at North High School. Phyllis worked as the attendance secretary at
Williams Intermediate School in Davenport, until her retirement in June 2016.
Phyllis has also served as her union’s president and vice president, as a contract negotiator, as well as a grievance chair. She has been on many committees in the district; including the superintendent search committee as well as serving on the state Minority Action Committee.
Phyllis currently works with QC United, an organization working with youth and raising money for scholarships at a college of their choice; Women of Color, which is a mentoring program for youth; AAUW; and Iowa Women United, which strives to increase civility in politics.
Additional Committees which Phyllis currently serves on are:
• Iowa Human Rights Board
• Iowa Prayer Caucus (Co-Chair and Co-Founder, 2012)
• Equity Committee regarding Davenport School
- Statehouse News, New Legislation Could Eliminate Background Checks
- Statehouse News, Protect Conservation & Recreation in Iowa
- Statehouse News, Updates Coming to Iowa School Infrastructures
- Statehouse News, Keep Iowa Courts Fair, Impartial, and Non-Partisan
- Statehouse News, Let's Invest in Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Keep Politics Out of Iowa’s Courts
- Statehouse News, Count Every Vote
- Statehouse News, Honoring Iowa Veterans
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead