Iowa House District 65
Representative Liz Bennett is presently in her second term and is in the Democratic Caucus. Liz is a ranking member of the Economic Growth committee. She is a member of the Administration & Rules, Environmental Protection, Judiciary, and Ways & Means committees. She additionally serves on the Governor’s STEM Advisory Council, as well as the Kirkwood Community College Liberal Arts Advisory Board.
Liz earned a double major in Politics and Women’s Studies with a Pre-Law emphasis from Cornell College in Mount Vernon, IA. Professionally, Liz has worked with LGBT advocacy organization, One Iowa, and has experience in the private sector working with small businesses as an Account Executive for Yellow Book, and has also worked in Quality Management and Professional Development for internet company, Go Daddy.
As a young professional, Liz has a special understanding of the types of skills today’s children need in order to be successful in the workforce, as well as the types of jobs Iowa needs. As a State Representative, Liz stands for a progressive vision of Iowa which includes actively combatting climate change, assuring that Iowa’s youth gets a world-class education, raising the minimum wage, using smart policy to bring needed jobs to Iowa, and working to attract and retain young professionals. Her advocacy has led her to be recognized as Advocate of the Year by One Iowa and with the Judy Rutledge Legislative Courage Award from Planned Parenthood. She has also received the Advocate of the Year award from Iowa Safe Schools, the Pride Woman of the Year award from Des Moines Pride, and she was the Female First Honoree from the Young Women’s Resource center.
In 2018, Representative Bennett competed as a drag king at One Iowa’s inaugural drag brunch and won the title of Mr. One Iowa. Representative Bennett also serves of Secretary of Energy on America’s Cabinet.
- Statehouse News, Flood Recovery Assistance Available
- Statehouse News, Plan to Put Iowans First
- Statehouse News, Free Filing, Tax Assistance Available
- Statehouse News, Making Childcare More Affordable
- Statehouse News, Let's Invest in Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Keep Politics Out of Iowa’s Courts
- Statehouse News, Count Every Vote
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead
- Statehouse News, New Audit Reveals Privatized Medicaid Mismanagement