Iowa House District 40
John Forbes is a small business owner and former City Councilman in Urbandale. He is a pharmacist and has owned and operated Medicap Pharmacy in Urbandale for the past 35 years. Forbes is a member and past president of the Urbandale Chamber of Commerce. He also served as President of the Urbandale Library Foundation Board, and currently serves as a Board member.
John has served as President of the Iowa Pharmacy Association and the Polk County Pharmacists Association. He was named by a leading pharmacy journal as one of the Top 100 Most Influential Pharmacists in the Nation. In 2010, Forbes received the Bowl of Hygeia Award for community service given by the Iowa Pharmacy Association.
In recent years, he has headed up the Central Iowa Honor Flight, which flew World War II veterans to Washington, DC, for a one-day trip to view the World War II Memorial and other historical sites around the DC area. John was the winner of the Heroes of the Heartland Award from the American Red Cross in 2011. He was chosen by a leading pharmacy trade journal in 2011 as a Next Generation Pharmacist for Community Service. In 2014, the Drake University College of Pharmacy granted John its highest public service award, the Weaver Medal of Honor.
John resides in Urbandale with his wife, Cindy, a registered nurse. They raised two children in Urbandale, Adam, 34, and Meredith, 29. The couple also enjoys spending time with their grandson, Logan.
Rep. Forbes is currently the Ranking Member of the House Transportation Committee and also serves on Commerce, Human Resources, Ways & Means, and the Human Services Appropriations Subcommittee.
- Statehouse News, Local Leaders Oppose GOP Plan
- Statehouse News, Sports Bettting Needs Further Review
- Statehouse News, Updates Coming to Iowa School Infrastructures
- Statehouse News, Solar Energy Incentives in Jeopardy
- Statehouse News, Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Act Moves Forward
- Statehouse News, Let's Invest in Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Keep Politics Out of Iowa’s Courts
- Statehouse News, Iowans Need Accessible & Affordable Healthcare
- Statehouse News, New Sports Betting Law Requires Proper Vetting
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins