Iowa House District 41
Jo is serving her 8th term in the Iowa House. She serves as Ranking Member of the Commerce committee and also serves on the Appropriations, Judiciary, and State Government committees.
Jo graduated from Eagle Grove Community High School and earned her Bachelor of Arts and Juris Doctor from Drake University. Jo has professional experience in both the private and public sectors. She worked for 10 years in the financial services industry. Following that, she worked for eight years in the office of the Insurance Commissioner, eventually serving as the First Deputy Insurance Commissioner. Jo then served as policy advisor to Governor Tom Vilsack. In this capacity, she advised the governor on the issues of health, human services, elder affairs, insurance, banking, utilities, and professional licensing.
Jo and her husband, Brice Oakley, live in Des Moines.
Throughout her career, Jo has demonstrated a strong commitment to public service. In addition, she has been actively involved in the community. She served for 10 years on the Young Women’s Resource Center Board of Directors, and is currently serving on the board for the Des Moines Pastoral Counseling Center. She has been engaged in fundraising for United Way, is an active member of Plymouth Congregational Church, and has worked with the Big Brothers/Big Sisters Program. Jo regularly volunteers at Greenwood Elementary.
- Statehouse News, New Investments for Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Mid-session Legislative Update
- Statehouse News, Updates Coming to Iowa School Infrastructures
- Statehouse News, Let's Invest in Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Keep Politics Out of Iowa’s Courts
- Statehouse News, Local Impact from Recent Federal Government Shutdown
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, Are You Ready to Vote?
- Statehouse News, Early Voting Starts in Iowa
- Statehouse News, Failing Privatized Medicaid Program Gets Worse