Iowans should be aware of several changes we made to Iowa law beginning on July 1 that could impact their lives. This year, we worked together to expand the mental health system in Iowa, protect victims of gas pump and ATM skimming devices, and took a first step on combating Iowa’s growing opioid abuse.
Some of the changes taking effect on July 1 include:
– Expanded the “move over” law to include everyone (HF 2304)
– Prevented shaming students involving school meal debt (HF 2467)
– Directed all foster care children to have at least one medical visit per year (SF 2418)
– Expanded the eligibility of an infant that can be turned over as part of the Newborn Safe Haven Act (SF 360)
Investing in Iowa’s Future
– Expanded support for veterans in need of housing and increased the support available for a variety of services by increasing the expenditure amount of the Veteran’s Trust Fund (SF 2366)
– Created the Future Ready Iowa initiative to invest in future workers including, a volunteer mentoring program, a registered apprenticeship development program, employer innovation fund, summer youth intern program, and a skilled workforce scholarship (HF 2458)
– Made further investments in Iowa’s water quality (SF 512)
Other Laws of Interest
– Allowed scholarships and health insurance for the children and spouses of fallen peace officers/ firefighters killed in the line of duty (HF 2502)
See the full list of bills going into effect July 1 here.