Iowa House District 15
Charlie McConkey is currently serving his 2nd term in the Iowa House of Representatives. He serves on Commerce, Economic Growth, Labor, Ways & Means, and the Education Appropriations Subcommittee. He also serves on the Iowa Capital Investment Board.
Charlie McConkey was born in Carter Lake, Iowa to Charles and Fannie McConkey, and has lived most of his life in Council Bluffs. He is married to his wife Sheryl, and together they have a blended family of four children, Jennifer, Charlie III, Jason and Katie. They have seven grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.
Charlie graduated from Abraham Lincoln High School in 1973 and obtained certification from Iowa Western Community College after high school.
Charlie worked industrial maintenance at Griffin Pipe for over 31 years. After retiring from Griffin Pipe, he obtained his real estate license and worked at N P Dodge selling real estate for five years. Charlie has owned and operated a small business in Council Bluffs for several years.
Charlie and Sheryl attend Salem Methodist Church in Council Bluffs.
Charlie is a member of United Steelworkers Local 3141, Vice President of the Roberts Park Neighborhood Association and has volunteered for SOLAS (Support Our Local Animal Shelter) and is a member of the Pottawattamie County Landlords Association. He frequently volunteers at Mohm’s Place serving meals to the homeless.
Charlie served on the Board of Steelworkers Credit Union, was Financial Secretary for United Steelworkers Local 3141, and has chaired the Safety Committee at Griffin Pipe.
As a member of the Roberts Park Neighborhood Association, Charlie has assisted neighbors in applying for grants to repair and paint their homes for those who are financially and physically unable, volunteers for the annual Easter Egg Hunt in Roberts Park and works with the association to organize and sponsor forums for City Council and Mayoral candidates.
- Statehouse News, New Investments for Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Mid-session Legislative Update
- Statehouse News, Updates Coming to Iowa School Infrastructures
- Statehouse News, Making Childcare More Affordable
- Statehouse News, Let's Invest in Iowa Schools
- Statehouse News, Keep Politics Out of Iowa’s Courts
- Statehouse News, Making Education in Iowa the Best in the Country
- Statehouse News, Honoring Iowa Veterans
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead