Iowa House District 34
Bruce Hunter is serving his 8th term in the Iowa House. He serves as Ranking Member of the Labor committee. He also serves on the Human Resources and State Government Committees, and the Health and Human Services Appropriations Subcommittee.
Bruce Hunter was born to Norm and Iris Hunter on June 22, 1955 in Alma, Wisconsin. After growing up in Wisconsin and Minnesota, Bruce graduated from Ellendale High School in Ellendale, Minnesota. After high school, Bruce attended Winona State University for two years and Saint Cloud State University for one year.
Bruce is married to Betty Brim-Hunter. He worked for Iowa Student Loans for two years as a loan consultant. Previous to that, he worked for Citi Group as a Customer Service Manager for 8 years. Betty works as the State Political Director for AFL-CIO.
Bruce has been very active in community groups throughout his life. He is a past president of the Davenport Jacyees and a past district director of the Iowa Jaycees. In addition, he has been active in the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Habitat for Humanity, and Animal Lifeline of Iowa.
Bruce sees labor, education, and health care as the most important issues facing Iowa. He wants to work to create good paying jobs with benefits that will keep young people in Iowa. He wants to work to keep Iowa’s schools the best in the nation, and he wants to make sure that Iowans young and old get the medical care and treatment they need.
Bruce feels his strength lies in his ability to listen to the needs of the people in House District 34 and then put those concerns to work at the Capitol.
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead
- Statehouse News, New Audit Reveals Privatized Medicaid Mismanagement
- Statehouse News, Are You Ready to Vote?
- Statehouse News, Early Voting Starts in Iowa
- Statehouse News, Closing Iowa's Skilled Worker Shortage Gap
- Statehouse News, Growing Corporate Tax Credits Need Review
- Statehouse News, Failing Privatized Medicaid Program Gets Worse
- Statehouse News, Thank Iowa Workers this Labor Day
- Statehouse News, Iowa Students Head Back to School