Iowa House District 77
Amy Nielsen is the former mayor of North Libery and is now serving as State Representative in House District 77, which encompasses western and southern Johnson County, including the cities of North Liberty, Tiffin, Oxford, Swisher, Shueyville, and Lone Tree.
Amy is a ranking member of the Natural Resources Committee and serves on the Education, Local Government Committees, the Transportation, Infrastructure, and Capitals Appropriations Subcommittee, and is a member of the Administrative Rules Review Committee. She is Iowa’s State Director for the National Foundation of Women Legislators, a non-partisan organization that encourages and supports women in elected office from the local to state level.
First elected Mayor of North Liberty in 2014, Amy has worked to expand public services and build infrastructure — including public transit – to the city’s growth areas. As mayor, she brought increased attention to the diverse population of the community and pushed for additional programming for seniors and translation services for non-English speakers.
Amy has been involved in numerous community activities, including serving on the Board of Directors for the North Liberty Community Food Pantry and heading up the Garner Elementary Walking School Bus program. She is also in the Iowa City Blue Zones Project and serves on the Iowa City Community School District’s Equity Advisory Committee, as well as the Community Education Districtwide Advisory Council.
Nielsen and her husband Jason have three children in the Iowa City Community School District, the same school system of which she is a graduate.
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead
- Statehouse News, New Audit Reveals Privatized Medicaid Mismanagement
- Statehouse News, Are You Ready to Vote?
- Statehouse News, Early Voting Starts in Iowa
- Statehouse News, Closing Iowa's Skilled Worker Shortage Gap
- Statehouse News, Growing Corporate Tax Credits Need Review
- Statehouse News, Iowa Students Head Back to School
- Statehouse News: Back to School Tax Free Weekend
- Statehouse News, Privatized Medicaid Problems Continue