Iowa House District 77
Amy Nielsen is the former mayor of North Libery and is now serving as State Representative in House District 77, which encompasses western and southern Johnson County, including the cities of North Liberty, Tiffin, Oxford, Swisher, Shueyville, and Lone Tree.
Amy is a ranking member of the Commerce committee and serves on the State Government, Ways and Means, and Local Government Committees and is a member of the Administrative Rules Review Committee. She is Iowa’s State Director for the National Foundation of Women Legislators, a non-partisan organization that encourages and supports women in elected office from the local to state level.
First elected Mayor of North Liberty in 2014, Amy has worked to expand public services and build infrastructure -- including public transit – to the city’s growth areas. As mayor, she brought increased attention to the diverse population of the community and pushed for additional programming for seniors and translation services for non-English speakers.
Amy has been involved in numerous community activities, including serving on the Board of Directors for the North Liberty Community Food Pantry and heading up the Garner Elementary Walking School Bus program. She is also in the Iowa City Blue Zones Project and serves on the Iowa City Community School District’s Equity Advisory Committee, as well as the Community Education Districtwide Advisory Council.
Nielsen and her husband Jason have three children in the Iowa City Community School District, the same school system of which she is a graduate.
- Statehouse News, Sensible Gun Regulations and Background Checks in Jeopardy
- Statehouse News, Mid-session Legislative Update
- Statehouse News, Health Education Funding in Jeopardy
- Statehouse News, Expanding Children's Mental Health Services
- Statehouse News, Keep Politics Out of Iowa’s Courts
- Statehouse News, Making Education in Iowa the Best in the Country
- Statehouse News, Iowans Need Accessible & Affordable Healthcare
- Statehouse News, 2019 Legislative Session Begins
- Statehouse News, More State Budget Challenges Ahead
- Statehouse News, New Audit Reveals Privatized Medicaid Mismanagement